.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oyarsa's Observances

This blog is created for my random thoughts and opinions. Conflicting opinions are always welcome, but comments or remarks left in a disrespectful or distasteful manner (to be determined by myself) will be either ignored or deleted. This blog has a zero-tolerance policy for spammers. Don't waste your time, spammers, go elsewhere.

Name:

"Oyarsa" for those who don't know, is the name of an archangel (or "god" with a little 'g') in C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I liked the character, so I stole the name. Who am I? I am a library science student in Illinois who has a variety of interests--too many to list! I have worked in libraries for five years and counting.

Are you a good person?

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Webdesign Basics

About.com ran an article on webdesign basics. So, for kicks, I decided to evaluate how well this blog messages up. Feel free to give imput if you don't agree with any of my um...scientific...yeah, scientific...findings.

*****

Graphics

1. Think small: If I take the time to upload the graphics, they meet this criterion. If I just 'borrow' someone else's image source code, then it doesn't. File this one under, "work on"...

2. Use graphics that fit the content. I'd say for the most part I've been following this one...

3. do not use images that blink I shouldn't have any images that blink on here, so I'll file this under "does not apply".

Layout

4.Stick with standard layouts Blogs, by definition, have a standard layout...

5. Whitespace is just as important in a Web layout as it is in a paper layout Got me here. Goal for this blog: find ways to use whitespace more effectively.

6. Use your graphics as elements in your layoutsI do that to a point.

Fonts

7. Serif for headlines and Sans-Serif for text. Truthfully, I haven't given the font I use much attention. Will need to look into that.

8.Limit the number of different fonts I do this by default.

9. Use Standard font families: I basically do this by default as well.

Advertising

10. Don't be greedy. I do have some banners that link to other websites. But I don't make a dime off any of them. Banners chosen reflect the interests of Oyarsa, hence, their inclusion on my personal blog. Anyone having problems with any of my banners should email me (view email link in my profile) or leave a comment on any of my posts.

11. Treat ads as you would any other image I think all the banners on my blog are as small as I could configure them. At any rate, they're all deliberately placed so as to avoid throwing the template out of whack, again.

Remember Your Readers

12. Test your pages in multiple browsers: Guilty as charged. I should do this, but I haven't been.

13. The same is true for operating systems. Something else I need to work on. majorly.

14. Write content that they want. This gets a bit iffy, because it is a blog. I try to keep my readers in mind, but, as I said, I can improve in this area.

So, these are my scientific results compiled by myself a group of independently hired researchers of web design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home