.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oyarsa's Observances

This blog is created for my random thoughts and opinions. Conflicting opinions are always welcome, but comments or remarks left in a disrespectful or distasteful manner (to be determined by myself) will be either ignored or deleted. This blog has a zero-tolerance policy for spammers. Don't waste your time, spammers, go elsewhere.

Name:

"Oyarsa" for those who don't know, is the name of an archangel (or "god" with a little 'g') in C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I liked the character, so I stole the name. Who am I? I am a library science student in Illinois who has a variety of interests--too many to list! I have worked in libraries for five years and counting.

Are you a good person?

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Corruption in Louisiana?

Perish the thought....

*****************

Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005 10:18 p.m. EDT
Louisiana Officials in Flood-Money Scam
Nine months before the Hurricane Katrina disaster, three Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness officials were indicted for obstructing an audit into flood prevention expenditures.In a November 2004 press release, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Louisiana announced: "A federal grand jury has returned two separate indictments charging three members of the State Military Department with offenses related to the obstruction of an audit of the use of federal funds for flood mitigation activities throughout Louisiana.
"The two emergency management officials were senior employees of the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. Both were charged with conspiracy to obstruct a federal audit."
Gov. Kathleen Blanco told Louisiana's News-Star at the time that she was disturbed by the indictments. She said the National Guard is cooperating with the investigation "as I expect them to do."
Reports of rampant corruption among Louisiana's state and local agencies have been cited in recent days to explain why officials were so ill-prepared to deal with the Katrina disaster.

Louisiana Officials in Flood-Money Scam

3 Comments:

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Interesting Oyarsa...I too have been following all the happenings in Louisiana pretty carefully and it is interesting but disturbing. What gets me is that they are thinking of giving compensation up to a million dollars each(equal to that given to 9/11 victim families)to Katrina victims! What's the world coming too?!!

Wed Sep 07, 09:34:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Susanna Rose said...

www.letter-rip.blogspot.com is where I'm at...come visit sometime soon!(=

Wed Sep 07, 09:35:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

Hello, Susanna Rose,

A pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you enjoyed that post.

Been reading my blog long? I don't believe we've met. :-) I'm curious, how did you 'stumble across'? It's always nice to hear from someone new.

Fri Sep 09, 08:55:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home