.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Oyarsa's Observances

This blog is created for my random thoughts and opinions. Conflicting opinions are always welcome, but comments or remarks left in a disrespectful or distasteful manner (to be determined by myself) will be either ignored or deleted. This blog has a zero-tolerance policy for spammers. Don't waste your time, spammers, go elsewhere.

Name:

"Oyarsa" for those who don't know, is the name of an archangel (or "god" with a little 'g') in C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I liked the character, so I stole the name. Who am I? I am a library science student in Illinois who has a variety of interests--too many to list! I have worked in libraries for five years and counting.

Are you a good person?

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Worldvision Rant

I gave Worldvision one or two donations while in high school. They just sent letters requesting money, I knew nothing faulty about the company, so I donated. Hopefully the vast majority of it went to the right people.

But, over the past several months, it seems that Worldvision has given in to 'guilt' mailings. I call them guilt mailings because that is what they are designed to do: arouse guilt in the sender if a donation isn't mailed back. Evidently, it's an effective tool, because I keep getting them.

Here's what's been happening the last couple of months: Worldvision sends me an envelope with a letter, a donation envelope, and a packet of seeds. Why the packet of seeds? Because some starving families who have been through a horrendous drought lost their crops. Fine. I don't mind giving money to a good cause, once I have money to give again (College & Grad school tend to be money drainers). I *do* mind that seeds which could have been planted and growing if they had been given DIRECTLY to those in need are sitting in a package on my end table.

And it makes me wonder, if I give "x" amount of dollars to worldvision, how much of MY money will be wasted on this type of guilt mailing?

So, sorry Worldvision.

Knock it off with the seeds, and I will return to donating to your charity.

Continue with the seeds, and I will continue to pitch your letters and give the seeds to the local needy, where they will be used.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Hey Oyarsa!

I can totally identify with you concerning World Vision. I got caught in the "guilt trap" during a concert by a Christian group and signed up to support a girl from Equador. I was really excited about it and sent money for several months but was so disillusioned. They promised if I wrote the girl I would receive letters back from her occasionally...the only reply I ever got was a supposed Christmas card that had obviously been manufactured by WV and sent out to supporters. It was a big insult! I also just wondered how much of the money was actually going to the child! It's so hard to trust these big organizations! Well, good job on putting your seeds to good use! Good post!(=

Sun Oct 30, 09:34:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Oyarsa said...

It's pretty sad. The charities that engage in that sort of tactic are borderline infringing (if not outright violating) 2 Cor. 9:7:

7Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Giving to those in need should come from the heart, not from pressure stemming from a guilt trip. Otherwise, you're not really giving in God's eyes.

At least, that's my .02.

Mon Oct 31, 01:07:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home